Thursday, February 4, 2016

Champion

Inspiration Station: Elation by Isbells

I want to talk about hope today. 

"and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." Romans 5:5 NASB

Someone said to me recently, "Emily, I don't think your fear is that you're not enough before God. I think your fear might be of the power that is within you if you were to let Him have every single piece of you. You have the power to set others free." The truth hit me like cold water. 

I always thought I was afraid of failing - of falling short - of not being enough (yeah I still feel that sometimes). But I actually believe I am more afraid of who I could be if I surrender 100%. I convince myself that I would be too much for the world. But the truth is that the world needs us to be completely overtaken by the love of Jesus.

Marianne Williamson said it perfectly in her book A Return to Love
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
I don't know about you, but that is rocking me. Because there are so many times in the day that I say to myself, "No don't do that." - "It's not your place to say that." - "Be invisible." - "You don't know anything." and I sit in this false shame that I'm not enough or I compare myself to others. and I make myself believe that I'm afraid of not being enough. but it just ain't true guys! (sorry grandma for the grammar it's for emphasis)

Our self-shaming is crushing us. but more importantly, it's crushing our hope. We're not doing any good by making ourselves small, by talking ourselves down, or by giving in to insecurity. If we don't believe in ourselves, how are we supposed to believe that love can win out over evil? If we can't believe that God can change us, how in the world are we going to believe that He can change the world through us?

By letting God have His way in our lives, by being totally sold out, thats what shows off God's glory most. It reminds us of His promises that will not fail and once again we have hope for ourselves & for the world.

Champion others, absolutely. but champion yourself too. Be for you.

You're not too much. You're exactly what this world needs. You were born for this.

God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit. As my friends at Refuge say: it's the HIMwithin.

So don't shut off the spigot of your heart to Jesus. Let Him have His way. Let Him be all He wants in you. It may feel bare and ridiculously vulnerable to be totally sold out but I have hope that the freedom is beyond compare. I have hope that we will become a generation completely overtaken by this love offered freely to us. That doesn't settle for the enemies games. That shouts of God's grace & love for His people. That believes in the HIMwithin to the point that it changes this world.

There's hope for more than depression. more than anxiety. more than eating disorders. more than alcoholism. more than fear and shame and bitterness and comparison. more than hopelessness.

Hold on to His promises. Champion yourself. Sell out every seat in your house for Jesus. and just watch what He does.

It's gonna be amazing.

Em



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive